Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Operation


After finding the one place in town who would repair 4x5 bellows (yeh for North West Camera Repair in White Bear Lake) and discovering that the cost is a bit high I went at my leaks with some black tape. As I was taping away I discovered all sorts of leaks EVERYWHERE! It's like my bellows decided to spontaneously crack open! I tried to think if I left her in the car or put some other kind of stress on her that would cause such trouble all at once, but I can't think of anything that I did that would have done that!

So at every crease in the peaks and valleys on the bellows is a leak. For now it's fine... but rather precarious in my opinion. I'm still afraid to shoot with her... I might just bite the bullet. I do love NW Camera, and they have been very good to me so I wouldn't feel so bad giving them my money as long as poor Victoria Jean is okay and the bellows last another 30 years, hopefully film will last that long...

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bellows would seem like something that could be found on the internet. Maybe you're afraid of installing it yourself? I kind of imagine that in 20 years I'll see you on a news special as the last living person shooting film; they'll have video of you making the film, loading into rolls, shooting it, developing it, printing it, and working on your cameras. You'll have the second largest collection of working film cameras in the world (some oil-rich prince will be rumored to have a larger one) and you'll speak fondly of the work you do.

Or maybe I live in my own little world a bit to much and should get back to work. :)

2:06 PM, June 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are there mice living in Victoria Jean's case or something? Maybe she was damaged while riding in the Saturn for hours?

5:19 PM, June 12, 2007  
Blogger Caroline Houdek said...

Thank you, and quadweav (that name makes me laugh), you’re right! I did find the bellows on line from one vendor for $325, which is the about the same price NW camera quoted me for repairs. I have considered installing them myself though, but if it's about the same price, have someone else do it whose work is guaranteed!

I'm still leaning towards the new bellows... and film will not die. I'm also going to make a lot of money on my, then, antique camera collection! Of course I won't sell them, just charge admission!

5:59 PM, June 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home