Lucky Arachnid
The other morning I was sitting at my computer at work and a relatively large white spider walked across the desk. I had a work-study student who was lounging on the couch at the time (I am a slave-driving boss I know) and I mentioned that I needed a paper towel to squish a spider with. She looked at me and said not to kill it because it’s lucky. She said that in Japan, where she’s from, if you see a spider in the morning it’s lucky and you’re not suppose to kill it, but if you see it at night that means something bad is going to happen and you should kill the spider to counter act the bad luck. I wonder if there are any practical applications to this superstition?
After we watched the spider scale the wall and free fall from the ceiling a couple of times on it’s web she caught it and brought it outside because I was still threatening to kill it. Who would have thought that spiders in the morning were lucky?
After we watched the spider scale the wall and free fall from the ceiling a couple of times on it’s web she caught it and brought it outside because I was still threatening to kill it. Who would have thought that spiders in the morning were lucky?

2 Comments:
Does this also apply if you go camping and wake up in the morning with a spider on you inside your tent? This, fortunately, hasn't happened to me. I'm sure I wouldn't react well. Lucky or not, there is a time when some piece of mother nature has exceeded all decency and penetrated too deeply into my space and must be dealt with swiftly and with certainty.
You violent woman, you
wanting to kill innocent spiders
Post a Comment
<< Home