Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Soup and Gold Stars

Yes, if you know me you know I am kind of obsessed with soup. I would eat it for every meal if I could... well maybe not breakfast, but only because I usually eat that in the car and it would be hard to eat soup then. Anyway today I was with a friend at his culinary school talking to his instructors about how they grad their students using Rubrics. My friend and I were talking about it on Friday and he said that he'd get a copy of this great grade sheet from his instructor and before I knew it we were at his school talking to his instructors. It's all art, just a slightly different way of going about doing it.

It was a peculiar situation, but I'm all about networking. So I talked with my friend's instructor about grading, chef to artist. As I was looking around his office/cube I noticed a bunch of recipe books on his shelf, not a suprise, but one of the cookbooks was, "The Soup Bible," I have that book! He's got to be a good guy now!

Anyway I have been grading my students in a way that I think is not subjective and that is fair, and I use gold stars on their quizes. Yes, another friend of mine gave me a "back to school" bag of usefull things, and among them was a pack of star stickers - they were for my students. So on their quizes, if they get an "A," they get a star on their quiz. When I passed back their first quizes one of the students said, "What's with the stars?"

"You're never too old for gold stars."

"They look red to me."

And true, they were red as my friend got me the multi-pack of colored stars. It's okay though because the quiz I turn back today will have actual gold stars on it. And even the quizes are hard for me to grade, sometimes the answers are kind of right! Ahhh art and grading!

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Photography = art....cooking = art... I'm so glad you found something useful in chatting with the chefs! Even if the rubrics won't change your grading and the grades you give, you might get better finished products since your students will have a better feel for what you're looking for. (That's the theory, anyway!) Definitely don't give up the gold stars, though!

11:21 AM, July 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see it now; I understand why we are friends. I, too, love soup! Know that you are earning gold stars in South Florida.

6:49 PM, July 27, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home