Monday, January 11, 2010

Discovered Treasures

One year ago I purchased a house, a little bungalow in south Minneapolis. Me, with the help of my friends and family have done a lot of work on it. One of the improvements was creating access to the attic above the eaves, which, for at least the last 7 years was completely walled off.

Yesterday I spent a couple of hours in the attic putting some good old R38 insulation up there. Hopefully my house will now heat more efficiently... but while I was up there I discovered a pile of old linoleum that was discarded up there. Of course warning bells went off, is it full of asbestos or other harmful materials... but at the same time it was beautiful... under the years of dirt and whatever else went on in the attic.


I appreciated the beauty and was ready to throw it away when my mother, who was helping me, made a suggestion. She is a big fan of HGTV and the other design shows and suggested I hang a piece up. I ran downstairs and grabbed an assortment of frames I had made years back that were just lying around, and brought them back up to the attic to see what would fit in them. After some sizing and cutting (all done by a flood light in the attic, might-I-add) I had a new piece of art to hang on my wall.

I have to say the historical concept is more exciting than the artistic concept, but it still does have a certain beauty to it.


Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you eventually sell the house you'll have the choice of taking it with you or leaving it for the next owner…

3:59 PM, January 29, 2010  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think in the old days (and now some "eco-friendly" companies are going back to the recipe) linoleum was purely cork tree bark that had been heated and pressed with linseed oil. So, it probably isn't toxic. Although, the printed (inked) side might have lead paint?

3:40 PM, June 23, 2010  

Post a Comment

<< Home